Re-use, Re-duce, Re-cycle!


I really admire those who make an effort to recycle.


As my new year’s resolution I decided to commit to recycling our household material. I set out, hunting for my tri-colored bins labeled Glass and Tins, Paper and Plastics. Got back home, post an announcement on the Kitchen black board to PLEASE RECYCLE. To my amazement, things worked out well… until the bins had to be emptied…!


I find it extremely annoying to drive to the suburb after the next, to take my three bags of waste to the recycling depot. It’s a hassle, and people do not like being hassled with yet another thing to add to their busy routine.


On my Project however, I found that it actually simplifies things allot by grouping site refuse.


I have created a system where we pile our refuse in groups according to their recycling attributes, and then deliver them by the load at the nearest recycling depot.


Now I know that my plastic plant bags DON’T end up in landfills, but are re-used to make new ones. On average we use about a thousand bags per project, which makes me extremely proud to dispose of it the best way I can. We group our plant waste, which in return (thanks to our well organized municipality), gets turned into compost or mulch for City of Cape Town public spaces.

Our bricks, concrete and stones go to the crushers, who produce a crushed mixture which is ideal for sub-base in roads and even used for foundations as an alternate to quarry stone.

Whatever seems salvageable get’s advertized on our local classifieds – and I’ve saved many a Rand by people willingly collecting excess paving from sites.


If we all just make a little sacrifice today, we can make a difference together. Together we can control tons of plastics being dumped in landfills, which prose a variety of harm to the environment. We can control our own organic waste by owning worm farms. Organic waste is estimated to make part of 60% of total landfill waste. Therefore we could be cutting our general waste by more than half by just having a worm farm. Besides, when we teach our current generation to make fun out of it, it not only becomes a breeze, but their future generations will gladly follow in their footsteps.



Make the wise choice today to re-use re-duce and recycle!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Concepts

Before and Afters