A Pot Full of Pansies

As a Landscape Designer, I’m often faced with the challenge of having to see beyond current circumstances. I often meet the clients when their homes have not even been built yet, having to figure out what the house will look like by reading the floor plans. Worse even, is seeing the site for the first time while the builders are still actively working on site. These building sites are enough to make anyone feel inadequate to design a masterpiece.



About two weeks ago I was contacted by an Architect and his client who have exactly reached this point. A nightmare of a building site, which even with my seven years design knowledge made me feel incapable.The Architect, with his sharp humour and chuckles said “well, I’ve managed to come up with a plan up to where the house walls end. The rest is up to you”. With minimal input from the client, I could immediately see what type of person he was, and what his primary needs were. They even went as far as requesting that I plant some violas or pansies. I nearly lost it as the house is built in a contemporary modern style. Luckily I figured that they were testing my reaction, and I passed the test with flying colours by rejecting the pansies idea!


I took the necessary measurements, site photos and site plan, and off I went to the office. Whilst I was driving back, my head turned (as it normally does) with options. I could not help but to sketch a few rough ideas on the photos I took that same day. That night I worked on the design, to see if my ideas will stand the test and become reality!

The design took Hours of intensive drawing, which included having to draw the entire structure of the garden in 3D.
I recall working well into the morning hours (because I’m most creative then).

Finally I came up with a concept. Not just a piece of paper with excessive green ink on it, but something that is practical in every aspect. After arranging the meeting with the client and the architect, I felt this sense of boldness and confidence. The meeting approached, and I arrived just in time for the Proposal meeting.

I most definitely was a wreak, because I know there’s always a chance that the client will either reject your ideas, and see it as a bit out of this world, but nevertheless, I kept my calm. Credit given to the strong espresso I had.
The first responses of the client were, but where are the pansies I asked for. And we all burst out laughing!

All went well, and the client and architect were really amazed by the outcome of the design, even so much so that he said if he had my ability to draw up landscape plans, he would have done the exact same design. I had my stamp of approval! The client, his wife and the Architect loved it – every square centimetre! About half an hour later I received a call from the architect, who wanted to congratulate me on a job well done. He ensured me that the client is ecstatic about the concept, and he really thinks I have come up with a winning plan.

Now the main challenge of installing the project is my next major concern. Although, I have full confidence that this project will turn out to be one of my best yet! I also look forward to working with the architect and the client, as a good laugh always comes in handy on a long day or week.

I’ll keep updating the pictures, in order to browse the before and after shots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Concepts